Dec 31, 2010

A New Year to Endear


Hello Everyone!


As I close out the year and about to start a brand new one, I had to stop by and wish you all the best....you all mean so much to me.


Below are some photos that I quickly took and made into a few gifts for a few friends this Christmas. The little tree was given to me by my friend, Renee, who has a little home to die for. It is one of many goals of mine to photograph it this year. When I received her little tree, the night before I flew out to NYC, it was love at first sight.


When I returned, I adorned it with some of my beloved little time pieces and took some snaps and framed a photo of it for her. This was about all I could conjure up for the holiday season as I had some things to deal with when I returned from New York such as surgery and a horrible migraine that lasted days, hence the lack of exciting updates on my part, but my book signing in NYC went so well and I had such a blast (and honor) meeting so many wonderful people that I can't wait to share. I find having my life disrupted as such is extremely hard to accept, but I am learning the signs and learning to accept that I have to take care of myself first and then just move on. I definitely don't like it, but my barber husband is pretty adamant when he sees me trying to take on too much after a serious migraine, but I can't wait to share!


However, in the meantime, I am sharing with you some of my little holiday photos and why I really took them and what they meant to me and share my thoughts as we all close our year together. And, I will start my year 2011 by happily sharing all the wonderful things that I have done and some let you in on some plans for the new year as well.


So for now, please enjoy my little photo fun day I had recently.  I call this photo essay:




It is All How You Look at It




We all have heard that having a different perspective on life or changing a point of view can make one's world seem better or different - that isn't a new concept. But what I have found in my own experience is that when I want to change my perspective, I tend to just move my eyes or head to get a different view on things to figure things out, instead of looking just straight on.




Over time, with lots of practice (of hardships and experiences), I slowly learned that moving ones' eyes around or turning one's head does help, but actually getting up and shifting is even better. Viewing a problem, or even an issue that isn't so much a problem, but rather a decision to make, is all the more clearer by actually getting up and moving around the issue, instead of staring straight into it. Some might see it as avoiding, but I see it from another perspective. 








How many times have we all had a decision to make and like the wise women we are, we do our research, ask others for advice, and studied it to death before we made a move? Do you see the irony of the last question? "Before we made a move?" "Moving" is actually one of the first things that we ought to consider....






By moving ourselves, we are actually "removing" ourselves from the issue at hand. We are allowing ourselves to step back and let it be. We aren't forcing. We aren't changing. We are just "being" by moving. Sort of an oxymoron if you think about. "Moving so we can remain being."








Suddenly, what we thought we saw, we didn't really see at all. And what we thought was clear, really wasn't so clear at all. But we do begin to see things that were there along and never even noticed....





















Suddenly, the issue isn't so much an issue anymore to be tackled or afraid of. The worry turns into action. The answers start to come, even if the answers aren't the ones we wanted, there is a relief that we found some answers (any answers) because we know we are smart enough to deal with them and work with it. But mainly, we are seeing a clearer picture...







And here is the miraculous thing of all: Once we find ourselves working with the answers, even though we don't like the answers, we start coming up with ideas. Ideas that will work. New ideas. Fresh ideas. Ideas we would have never even thought of because we were forced to create them only because we had to work with the unwanted answers that were given to us. Answers we would have never chosen...



And soon, we forget how much we hated those answers and start working on creative solutions...





And with our creative, loving, determined spirit, we press on,  designing a one-of-a-kind solutions from rubble of a problem, a real life issue, a life circumstance thrown our way...not welcomed, unwanted, and never planned. And yet....




By moving out of the problem's way, and just "being" we can almost surely begin to see that all problems have an answer, even if we don't like the answer. 







And I have found that for me personally, when I just let it all go to someone much more powerful than me....when I give my worries and problems to Christ, He shows me something.....if you look closely below....you will see it too.... 






He shows me that all along He was always there in me. See the reflection of the timepiece in the silver creamer? It was there all along, I really didn't notice it until I downloaded the photo. See the reflection of the timepiece's back in the mirror? Same thing. And see the reflection of the creamer is in the mirror as well? The timepiece is leaning on the silver creamer for support. We always have the answers in us, we just need to get out of our own way and ask for help. That's my goal this year, to get out of my own way.


I am betting most people found this old, cracked, worn mirror as beautiful, as I did. And yet, that is so much like our lives - cracked, worn, and yet full of beauty. And the funny thing is...it is the cracks, the worn spots, and chips that make this mirror so beautiful in the first place! Had I used a shiny, new mirror for the photo, you would be saying, "Elizabeth! What are you doing? Why a new, shiny mirror?" Exactly. Why new? Why perfect? And why do we put those demands on ourselves personally? I know I find myself doing that, and yet, I go grab "the pretty, perfect mirror with cracks..." makes no sense...I'm senseless...another crack. Guess that is good!


So this new year, I am hoping to rely more on the beauty of experience, the Power of above to help me, and to be open to creativity that comes with it. What a gift! And I hope my life will reflect back all that I have done, accomplished, loved, and shared. And while the price for loving, giving, sharing, and sticking our necks out, can be hurt, pain, disappointment and sadness, it is these unwanted responses that help us to continue to create fresh, new ideas that we all continue to share with one another. This will be a year to endear, no endure.


May your New Year be filled with small discoveries that lead to creative joys that are shared in a world in which cracked and worn mirrors truly reflect the real beauty that surrounds us.


I am truly, truly honored to be included among so many loving and creative women. 


from my house to your house,




Signature

26 comments:

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Elizabeth... Wishes sent your way for a safe and peaceful and blessed New Year for you and hubby... May this year bring all you need to you and your family....

Anonymous said...

wishing you happiness in the coming year..have a great one.

Summerland Style said...

Oh so timely Elizabeth! Looking forward to really savoring the twists and turns of this next year regardless of the details. Reminds us we're alive and that life really is good.

I truly, truly wish you and Randy all the best in 2011!

From many miles away,

Nia

Karen said...

Have a happy and healthy New Year!Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photography.

Unknown said...

I have always loved your words as well as your images . . . many blessings to you this next year . . . peace be with you - liz

PCovi said...

Hugs and love to someone with great insight and a wonderful kitchen :)
Did you have fun with Ree? And vice versa? I'll bet so!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth, this is so beautiful. I often look at people and wonder if they know how beautiful they truly are! Happy New Year to you and your hubby, I'm looking for more inspiration from you in 2011!

oldgreymare said...

Elizabeth,

I have not said this to you and I should have so very long ago.

When your blog comes up on my roll with a new post it is as if I have been given a surprise gift to unwrap. I never know what it will be but I am never disappointed.

Of course I love your photos and I love your text but I suppose what draws me in, what keeps me coming back is how you ponder, question and how you love.

It is so familiar to me, I tend to move through my life with similar patterns, so here is a comfortable, warm place for me to visit..to say, oh yes, I do that..I think that..I wish that....

So it is with gratitude that I wish you peace in this New Year.

It all begins with one tick of the clock, a fresh start of hope and promise....

BEGIN, my word for 2011, shall be my guide.

Suzan

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Elizabeth, beautiful post! Hope you have a wonderful New Year's.

Pat said...

You are ever so right! And, I love your precious little tree.....please feel better soon and have a lovely New Year! I'll look forward to seeing your photos as time goes by...take care, pat

Debra@CommonGround said...

Well said dear E. From God's mind to your heart.
Sending love and blessings for the New Year,
Debra

The Splendiferous Life said...

Hello I am your newest follower..I read about you and your kitchen today at Borders Books in Where women cook....LOVE IT..I am redoing my kitchen on a budget and can't wait to go read how you did your counter..Happy New Year..

sherry

http://splendiferousgirlsclub.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth said...

When I saw Your Blog,I had to check it out since I am also Elizabeth... I am so glad I did!
It is delightful! Happy New Year!

Burlap Luxe said...

Elizabeth...You are amazing!!
Your photos are soulful with a language of there own.

I so relate to your style, keep inspiring your talent.

Elizabeth visit soon :)
Cheers!!
xx
~Dore
PS...I still so love to check out your featured spot in WWC
Where Women Cook.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Wishing you much happiness for the new year!

I always enjoy visiting you and leave inspired, thank you!

Petie said...

This post was so beautiful. You don't even know me but everything you typed spoke volumes to me. Thank you. I sooooo needed to read this. You have no idea how perfect the timing was for me to read this. Have a great year and I look forward to reading more posts. Love your blog. My favorite photo is the one that you took in the bedroom after you had just woken up, BEAUTIFUL. One more thing, I do believe that God speaks through blogs. Thank you!

Tamra said...

I just said to my husband today that I believe this will be my best year in business ever. Thank for such a lovely post, "a year to endear" is now posted on the cork board in my office.

Your photos are always a treat to look at. Thank you Elizabeth for all you do, say and share, it makes this artist, wife, mother, painter, crazy woman with a million creative ideas whirring around my head all the time feel like a normal human being.

Merci, mon ami!

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Hi Elizabeth! Happy New Year to you and your husband:) Your blog is always so beautiful and insightful. I am excited about this new year and am sharing my excitement with EVERYONE. I came up with an idea that will benefit sellers and buyers and posted it on my blog. If you are still selling anything (or just love to shop), please check out my post. I am hoping this gives everyone a little boost for 2011. We'll see what happens:)I would love your input if you have any ideas to share with us as you are one of the artists I so admire.
~Debra XXX
Capers of the vintage vixens

sweetpea said...

beautifully said elizabeth. all the best to you in the new year. i am often guilty of needing to get out of my own way. here's to a fresh beginning for both of us.

hugs,

shelley

savvycityfarmer said...

happy new year "old" friend ...


our paths crossed today, again ad I am so excited to be re-connected.

your words inspire, always

rozetta said...

This is the most beautiful post and hit home for me on so many different levels and reflected much of my life.

Your post reminds me so much of the book I am currently reading.

"The Book of Awakening" by Mark Nepo.

It's a wonderful book and easy to read, because there is one passage for each day of the year to reflect upon.

Wishing you all the best in the coming year.

Love and Hugs,
~elaine~

savvycityfarmer said...

in a very small world strange way, I think we are being re-connected ...

I am always loving seeing your name pop up ...


give us MORE

stop over ...

Mitzi Curi said...

What beautiful images and words! Thanks for sharing such an inspiring post.

Dionne said...

I just found you today through "Where Women Cook" and I love your kitchen and tour endearing story of how you met your husband! Thanks so much for sharing that story with the Where Women Cook readers!

Diana said...

Oh my Elizabeth..your words are so very true and so insightful. Getting out of one's way to get a different perspective and being open to the answers whatever they may be is so very wise. Thank you for sharing your heart. I do hope that you are feeling better.
Hugs
Diana

martha said...

I always knew I loved your style.... I see Christ's beauty in your creativity. What a delight to find out that you see Him too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...