Jun 19, 2012

Super Fine Women Weekend

Hello my friends!

I start this post with a classic car side mirror because I want to look back for a moment at some very classic moments with some very classy ladies.

I had the honor and privilege to spend the weekend with two friends that came into town just to see me.

I must say, before I continue, I must brag a bit about them. I am sure you have heard of them, and if not, then shame on you!!  :-)

Please allow me a moment to introduce (or brag) about my dear friend, Anne Lorys of Fiona and Twig.







Please check a very wonderful blog and blogger....you won't regret it! Click HERE!

Well, this talented, Texan gal has apparently been "stalking me" and been accused of having a "blogger crush" on me from way back when. I had no idea for years. I am very oblivious to so many things...especially to love-crazed stalkers...  :-)  However, I believe one day, and I don't remember exactly how long ago, (quite some time) I left a comment on Anne's blog and then one thing led to another, and then we began to email each other over time. And soon, the texting began, then the phone calls...

...and sigh....

She VERY SOON realized I wasn't such stalking material after all. However, we remained very close friends anyway.

As you peruse her blog, it is obvious that she is one very talented woman with a big heart. Her eye behind the camera is something else, and she has been published in numerous publications and I am sure this is only the beginning for her. I feel honored to be a part of her life.

The second woman that I had the pleasure to spend some time with this weekend is Debra Oliver of Common Ground




Please check out Debra's blog...she has a lot to offer on many topics. She is a woman to admire. Click HERE!


Debra is a blogger that I met several years ago, just briefly, and since then, I have been a faithful reader. She is a talented woman, loving mother, wife and Christian teacher with a way with words that has helped me through some very hards times over the years and she doesn't even know it. I am very grateful to have her in my life.


So how did this weekend come about? I get a call, not too long ago, from the lovely Anne, excitedly telling me she and her husband, James are coming to St. Louis, from Texas, just to see me and Debra (who lives in Springfield). I am so touched that she would come all this way just to meet me! Anne and I have never met in person before. Debra has a daughter in St. Louis, where they both stayed.

Sorry about the quality - cell phone photo take by barber husband. He did his best with three laughing women....


This photo shows our love and happiness and more...which was cropped out. I may explain/show later.

I will explain something - when I am with people that I love and enjoy, I tend to forget to shoot us. I am busy gabbing. Or, I only bring my point and shoot because I hate lugging around my big camera and usually hand off my little camera to someone to take a photo (or use the cell phone). It isn't until later, when I download my photos, do I wish I had taken more photos. But in the moment, I am happy that I spent so much time laughing and with my friends.






Our adventure began at Debra's daughter's home when I arrived on my little scooter. I had to stop and stare for a while at my new friends in person. We hugged and laughed. I don't ever carry my camera on my scooter, but I wish I had a photo of Vinnie, Debra's daughter's and son-in-law's French bulldog, jumping up and down, over and over again as I played with him. He was like a pogo stick! All four feet straight up and down, up to my chest, up and down, up and down. Hilarious!

We are off to lunch, me, my beautiful girlfriends and James, Anne's husband - cutie pie and a VERY good sport. A very loving husband, who loves his Anne dearly. I could tell that all he wanted was his Anne to have a great time. We three gabbed and gabbed. They followed me as I drove my scooter and head over to Winslows, a great little lunch place just down the road and we gabbed and gabbed.


Great place for lunch and a wonderful store on top of it! Click HERE


We then go just a few minutes up the road to my house where I put away my scooter and they wait for me on the porch and I let them in for the nickel tour. Our house is really, maybe 1100 sq ft. on a good day. 

Again, I was so excited to see them and to gab, I never even thought to take a photo of them in my house! I was so upset at that when I downloaded my photos and realized it! I am sad about that. But we just gabbed and gabbed and I had some little presents for them, but mainly we just couldn't get in enough talking and laughing. It was fun watching Anne walking around and snapping photos...I told her to photoshop out the dust...

Then off to Big Bend Barber Shop where my barber husband was going to give James a buzz.


It was fun to watch my barber husband go to work and those two  hit it off immediately....I wonder why? Maybe because they had something in common???


As Anne puts it...they had a "bromance" all weekend. They both married later in life, no kids, have the same "no-hair haircut" and both have very intelligent and talented wives....  :-)


We then went to a couple of little antique malls across the street while my barber husband closed up shop and went home to take a nap and I spotted these nesting kitchen bowls that I just loved and Debra snapped them up and said, "You must have them...they will look great in your kitchen." And so she bought them for me. And as I type this up, my barber husband is using them to mix meatloaf in one of them! I like hearing him beat the egg in it...I can pretend I am in France....sigh...








These bowls, on the bottom, say they come from the Cordon Bleu cooking school in France - yes it says "France" on the bottom.  How cool is that? 

Anne and Debra said something about wanting to see the Lemp Mansion - or so I thought. And I made reservations. Then I was corrected and Debra wanted to see The Stables. It turned out it went out of business, so the reservation stood and it turned out great. Click on the link for more information. The history is very interesting and little morbid...good reading. The Lemp was a very large and upcoming brewery back in its day....






Dinner was wonderful but it seemed the ladies bathroom was the real hit.



You know how women just can't go to the ladies room alone? We always have to go in a group. Well, Debra and Anne take that tradition to the extreme. The bathroom was huge - even a shower in it as, it was the mansion's old bathroom. 

Well, I heard all this giggling as I was putting on lipstick and then a hush, and I round the corner and I see these two looking really guilty, and shying away, and Debra looking down....






And suddenly I hear a door shut from the other side of the stall and a woman comes out and leaves! We had NO idea that anyone was even in the bathroom and that is when what looks like Anne copping a feel from Debra and I discover that those two were in the other stall and snooping to look over the stall's wall to "see what's on the other side of the wall" only to discover another woman doing her duty.....or rather...."dooty" in this case.

We all thought the other "stall" was a closet or something, as we all tried to open the door and it was locked. No one said anything from the other side, and we didn't hear a peep. I mean, come on, if I was sitting in there and heard three giddy broads come in, and opening all the doors, laughing and they grabbed my door handle, I would surely say something, like, "I am in here, but I wish I was out there with you all!" But nope, not a peep.

And as you can see below...we had to check out all the doors to see what's what...and when the one door wouldn't open...well what else could one do, but look over the wall and see what's inside?



After we left the bathroom, we actually talked the guys into checking out the ladies bathroom! Yes, they actually looked in and my barber husband came back claiming he would love to have that shower - so I know he actually went inside! I swear, you can't take us anywhere.

After that adventure we take them to a St. Louis tradition  eating frozen custard at Ted Drews. I'm not from here, but for some reason, it is a tradition to eat this in the parking lot, as cars drive by and honk at you - since 1929. 




The next morning, Sunday, we took Anne and James to the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis for mass. It is just beautiful and filled with mosaics of gold and brilliant colors. Click HERE for more information and a virtual tour. All visitors should visit this beautiful building. 






We got a little late start, but we went to tiny town of Kimmswick, MO, the oldest town, west of the Mississippi for the Father's Day Classic Car show and to eat at The Blue Owl for lunch. 





Debra is so little...look at how cute she is!!



I loved being with my girls. It was a hot day, but it gave us a chance to get out our "big-girl" cameras and shoot the "big boy" cars. I look down the way and there is Debra giving me a big smile as she was watching me enjoy myself with my camera and as you can see, Anne was enjoying herself with her camera. 

Both Anne and I walked side by side taking photos of some of these beauties and how fun it was to watch her take photos and yet, she was curious how I was taking my photos. But her knowledge of camera, equipment, and the workings is way beyond mine, so I found it funny how was curious about what I was doing. Mainly, I was a happy camper to have her near me, curious.  Here are a few of my shots:































Both Anne and I were busy shooting the classic cars, and yakking and as she walked down the road, I turned to shoot her and she turned around and caught me...so we shot each other at the same time. And then Debra caught us shooting each other and so SHE wanted to shoot us shooting each other, and soon it looked like a shootout at the O.K. Corral! 




So while the shootout was taking place, I turn around after it was over and discover that the "bromance" was still in full bloom over what else, but a candy apple red corvette.  Nothing like a vintage corvette to bring out the little boys in men.  Big Boy Toys...always bring out the smiles...I love that my barber husband did all that he could to make my weekend special. And it makes me so happy to know that perhaps he may have made a new friend as well.








I take a photo of the lovely couple (Anne and James, not the bro's) on the steps in the little old town before we head out. I want to make the day last as long as I can. I really love these people.





We finally make it to The Blue Owl (after a long hot wait) but have a wonderful family meal and then head on home where we girls are in the back seat and the big boys are up front. Lots of laughter and a pretend "glass partition" going up between the front and back as we girls tell very funny "female problem"  stories that make most men start going "la-la-la-la" as they cover their ears.

Well, we finally made it back and we all knew our time was coming to an end. We kept talking and laughing, but eventually, we made it to the front porch. And, here we are, three photographers, and what do we use??? Our cell phones - we hand them to our hubbies, as we don't dare hand them the big boy cameras. So, sorry for the low res photos.  


But remember this photo at the beginning of the post?


Here is the uncropped version:





You are not a true girlfriend until you copped a feel.

And all real girlfriends just know that is just the way it is. 

(I got Anne in the Mansion bathroom...right after I saw she copped Debra...we got to know each other very well this weekend...)





Anne just sent me this photo via text. I realized I had so few photos of us and I am glad to have this. Isn't she just beautiful? I just love her. 





Anne bought me this vintage seam binding from one of the little stores in Kimmswick. I was telling her and Debra how I miss sewing and how I am thinking of buying a sewing machine. Another story for another time. She bought this for me and I placed it with my other treasures in a giant silver bowl I have.

I think it says how the entire weekend went for me:

It truly was a superfine weekend with some superfine women.




And I am EXTRA blessed to have such superfine women enter my life and welcome me and give me a sense of belonging in a world that isn't always so welcoming. God has been extra good to me this weekend.

And may God bless you with a very superfine week with your friends as well. Thank you for allowing me to share my weekend with you.

from my house to your house,



Signature

32 comments:

SerendipityRefined said...

Thanks for sharing your FABULOUS weekend! Those photos prove two things: 1) a great crop job changes the story and 2) Real girlfriends aren't afraid to share their "feelings". You gals ROCK! xo, Kimberly

Kate said...

OH Elizabeth how lucky and blessed are all of you to have spent time together! What a blessing to have a bond! A terrific post!

Blessings to you

xoxo
Kate

Burlap Luxe said...

Elizabeth I am jealous :)
I have visited these 2 ladies off and on through the past 3 years, you my friend was in beautiful company now you know why I am jealous!! :)

Your works of art through your photography just blows me away! I am left gazing into the beauty of your lens and the hand that clicks that button, the vision you have my dear friend compares to non- other, you move us.

Have a beautiful week.
blessings to you and your barber hubby :)

xoxo
Dore

Anne Lorys said...

I love you, I love you, I LOVE YOU!
You already know that.

And this whole post brought smiles and laughs and tears in equal measure.

Yep, I was an unabashed Elizabeth Maxson fan from way back. Stalker....hmmmmm, well.....maybe. I never set up an EM shrine, but I'm sure that was forthcoming had me not met pretty soon.

We had, without question, the BEST time. It was just gravy that our husbands took to one another like a house a'fire, eh? So cool.

Like we said before we parted, this is only the first of many such adventures for us. I will see you again soon, either on your turf, mine or somewhere in the middle.

I cannot remember ever feeling such giddy, unbridled JOY as I did this past weekend with you, Randy, James and Debra. I hope you know you have a sister for life now, Bits...you're stuck with me.

Love you and miss you and will call you SOON!

XO,
Anne

PS. the boob grab photos....seriously? have you NO SHAME woman? to reveal to the world at large that I myself have NO SHAME??? ;-)
but don't pull 'em, leave 'em. it adds a certain girls gone wild flavor to the weekend.

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Ohhhh what a wonderful time!! Thank you so much for sharing with us :)

trash talk said...

Talk about all up in each other's grill! LOL
Girl, this was such a good feel...I mean feel good post. Someone should do a book on where Women Connect.
Deb
P.S. Debra is so tiny. It looked like she should be holding someone's hand to not get lost.

Unknown said...

What a grand time and a beautiful gift of friendship. Love, love, love this post!!

xxoo
Heidi

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

E, what a fabulous time you had with the girls, and you, Anne and James are some of the sweetest souls I've had the pleasure of meeting. Now Debra, while I've not met face to face she too is included in that category. I could use one of those car photo's in a card, wouldn't that be cool. Have a fabulous week my friend, T

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for joining in the fun with us! And to those who are new to the blog and this happens to be a fairly new post to them...well...you will just have to hang in there and trust that molesting is not my usual thing - only on special occasions, so don't run off!

And Anne, I am still slap happy over here that you and Debra and James came to spend some time with me...this will be a post I will visit many more times, just so I can relive the weekend.

And for the rest of you - how cool it would it be if we all could meet someday? I am counting on that. :-) ...Although I already met my Texan Deb... just haven't "grabbed" her yet...hugged yes, but not grabbed... :-)

Big hugs,
Elizabeth

Low Tide High Style said...

So happy that you had the chance to all get together...Anne and Debra are both such wonderful people, and clearly you are as well! What wonderful memories you all created, ones that will last a lifetime!

Kat

Shannon said...

Great post & photos! I was a Fiona & Twig blog stalker and am now lucky enough to call her friend. She and James are truly wonderful people!

Debra@CommonGround said...

You know how they say that things can be "life enhancing" or then "life changing", and this last weekend was definitely one of those life changing occasions. I haven't laughed or cried this much in years. Spending this time with the two of you as we've said, is just the beginning! OK, so I'm trying not to cringe over my nutty faces that have been immortalized in blogdom. ouch...
I really needed this time with you two great gals. thanks so much for including me, what a blessing. But I have to say Anne and I will be looking for payback, LOL!
love you bunches!

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Hi My Debra!

I just got off the phone - laughing so hard - with a friend telling her of all the fun we had and all the laughter. She laughed at the cat video and the story you told of chocolate peanuts...you are right...laughing is great and this is only the beginning.

You looked beautiful! And with my helmet hair, you have nothing to cringe about, you cutie.

I really, really had a ball with you and loved that I got to know you even better. You are a wonderful woman and I am blessed to have you in my life.

Can't wait to see you again, and by the comments on your blog, looks like you have many wonderful women who admire you as well.

Big hugs
Elizabeth

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Love the pictures of you three amigos! So happy you had such a good time and shared with us, thank you!

Unknown said...

I had a day just like that yesterday with my superfine friends! With my partner in crime, Chic(we have copped a feel and hit butt to butt many times!). And our good long time friend, The Boston Lady. Ann has been our pay lady at the 2 Fancy Flea shows we have done. A very simple day in Mt Dora Florida visiting my favorite shop, Pattie Anne's Vintage Land. Junking, hunting, laughing!! But...no pictures, I'm sad I didn't, like you I didn't want to stop having fun to take the picture...Love your post!!!
Our friends are so important to us!

Curtains in My Tree said...

what a great read
or I should say another great read.

Like your new bowls and sewing notions, which I am always looking for at sales etc
I am going to go to a couple places you just mentioned in St Louis .

How nice for Miss Texas to come up and visit and Debra from southern Missouri, That's what I love about us bloggers we travel all over the USA to meet each other

Some day I will cross your talented walkway ( I hope)

Janice

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful visit with your lovely friends Elizabeth!!
You are so truly blessed and thanks so much for the laugh at all of your crazy antics! :)
Have a lovely day.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Elizabeth Maxson said...

I do hope we do meet, Janice! Do you know it I had to meet Tina (another St. Louisan) in St. Paul, before we finally met? Hopefully we won't have to go that far :-)

And yes Melinda, those two are gifted spiritually, as well as the gift of laughter. I love women who are close to God and show it through laughter and love and actions. That says it all.

Big hugs
Elizabeth

Faded Charm said...

I so enjoyed reading about your wonderful visit with two blogging buddies, both of which I've gotten to know through blogging and would love to meet in person. I've followed you as well and love your home and style:-)

Enjoy your weekend,
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

You are truly blessed. What more can I say other than I would have loved to have been a bug on the wall in that bathroom! LOL!

Tracey

The Charm of Home said...

Great post! Loved the play by play of the weekend! And, I love the car hoods!!! I am a car lover too. Old cars make great subjects!
Sherry

savvycityfarmer said...

my stomach has butterfiles just recapping this with you ... AND I'm giddy at the thought of the same pleasure ... someday ... and it IS going to happen.

Weekend trip either way ... if you can't, we will!!!

proud to be close friends with both of these ladies!

The MO Farmers Daughter said...

I am Jealous!I had to work loast weekend or I would of hopped into the car and joined u girls!,carol

Anne Marie said...

spending time together like that is so very special - but I have to admit that I was shocked by the reason for the crop....Anne really shocked me on that one!!
(looks like you were a bit caught off guard as well!)

this blogging world has really brought together some great friendships I must agree

xo+blessings,
Anne Marie
(p.s. for you to bring them to Mass there at the Basilica is more special than any car show - though I do love vintage cars)

mitchiesmom said...

Just found your blog and what a jewel it is!! Love.Love.Love your car pictures!!! Fabo!!! And your recap of the weekend with friends is just priceless!! Thank you for sharing such a warm visit from new friends!! I'll be back lurking and visiting!! Thanks again!!!

Anne said...

Elizabeth,
How fun to meet up with other amazing bloggers.I am sure there was lots of laughter.Great photos!
((Hugs))
Anne

house things said...

Priceless...!!!

lori akins said...

an absolutely wonderful post.so filled with smiles from the heart.happy for you elizabeth!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

What a wonderful story of a beautiful time spent with some of my favorite blog gals! (Ok, I will tell you this so you - and Anne and Debra - can know that you are extra special in my eyes!!) I had to laugh about the bathroom event! "Dooty!!" ROFL!!! You all sound like my kind of friends to be silly with. BTW, Elizabeth, I love your haircut and wish I could have your hubs cut my hair to look like yours! If ever I make it to St. Louis, does he cut girls hair?

xxoo
Becky

Erin said...

You girls made my day just looking at this post! There is nothing like a good friendship, and girlfriends that you can be yourself with are priceless. I totally LOVE your photos of the cars, beautiful art Elizabeth!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have such a friendship. Thank you for letting us share it. Which issue of Where Women Create were you featured? I'm going to try and find a copy. I just came across your blog, just can't get over what beautiful pictures you post. Thank you for sharing your style and thoughts. Your thoughts and style, home so speak to my soul. thank you. I love it. A new fan.

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Dear "New Fan"

How sweet of you to write and I appreciate the lovely comment. I am truly honored to have such lovely ladies for friends. If you go to this link, you can order back issues of many different months, mine included! http://stampington.com/where-women-create

Thank you so much for asking and I look forward, always, to creating alongside with my readers.

Big hug to you
Elizabeth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...