Dec 24, 2011

Love IS Blind

Merry Christmas!


How the time flies and things never seem to get done, right?

But here it is, Christmas Eve, and it is time to slow down and take in the joy of the season.


So what if the tablecloth didn't get ironed...what a blessing to have family and friends to gather around it.

Okay, maybe you didn't get to make those fancy homemade cream puffs like you wanted to, but the store bought ones, served on a nice plate to your guests will be just as welcoming because the laughter of friends is what will be remembered for years to come.


The gifts may not be quite as plenty this year, but hugs and kisses are free. Today is a day to be a little selfish. Surprised I said that? 

Give to yourself today.

Give yourself the gift of loving yourself for just being. For being you. Not for what you can do, or make, or create, or how well you perform...but love yourself as Christ loves you. We tend to see our own faults and praise others' for their creativity, no matter how simple they may be.

Take this little ornament exchange party I attended. I simply wrapped a little ornament in a simple, left over piece of fabric...




Just added a little leftover greenery...and some leftover ribbon...



 And decided to photograph it quickly in a little silver dish...







Because we all know that even the simplest of things can be prettied up with a little fussing....





But that is where the true spirit of Christmas comes in...








That is why it is so cool that Christ was born....because He gets to see what so many of us never see in ourselves. 










I recently snapped up this unique, beautiful, silver one-handled tray at a flea-market. I couldn't believe my luck - or the price! Oh lucky day for me...it was even tarnished. How I couldn't wait to show my shopping buddy. 








Before I bought it, I showed my beloved treasure to my friend, who upon closer examination, pointed out that my "one-handled" tray was in fact, broken. It was missing the other handle...









I stared at my beloved "one-handled" silver treasure and contemplated for only a moment. It didn't take long for me to decide that it was even more special now. Because now it was a one-of-a-kind and now it has a story...a history. 









And that is how Christ sees us. We are His beloved treasures. And I would like to think that while it is rare that I can overlook my own flaws, Christ is able to look at us as I first looked at this broken, silver tray. Broken, but still treasured. We are so loved by Him, that He takes us as we are, and we have nothing to prove.


All we need to do is just "be."


Now I ask you...how many of you even noticed the "broken handle" before I even pointed it out to you? Is it broken or is it unique?


Exactly.




Merry Christmas and may you always feel treasured by The One who finds you valuable no matter how much we are "broken."



Signature

29 comments:

Georgia Gibbons said...

thank you, elizabeth. I remind myself all the time that HE died for me despite my flaws, and continues to love me and cover me and receives me in my brokenness. How can we not love HIM for that? How can we not honor HIM? I feel so blessed to be called HIS child. Merry CHRISTmas.

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Beautiful message!
Merry Christmas!

Revi said...

Amen and Amen!
THANK YOU that he has a different/better perspective than we people do. Thank you, Elizabeth, for writing this lovely post on this special day. It blessed me to read it. (And I LOVE the story of your tray!) It is lovely in it's broken, tarnished state. What a beautiful metaphor!
-Revi

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Beautifully said, Elizabeth. Merry Christmas to you and your husband:) May it be full of love, laughs and many memories.
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

Rhonda said...

You are making me cry, this is so sweet and tender. You always have a special message in your posts.

Thank you Elizabeth, for all you share and for posting from your heart.

Merry Christmas and tons of blessings.

Legacy of a Single Girl said...

I opened my browser just now and your blog popped up....guess it was a "meant to be" moment. I had my heart broken a little today when ....oh, it doesn't matter. My feeling were hurt, and I was feeling unwanted and unloved. Thank you dear Sister for your post today....it was just what the Master ordered. I am better now, as I remember who I truly am in Christ.
Merry Christmas dear one!
Hugs,
Margo

Gail said...

Lovely post! I love your tarnished dish just as it is....so important to accept our flaws as He does!
Have a blessed Christmas!

Marilyn Parker said...

Elizabeth ~ Wishing you and your Randy a Merry Christmas and Happy 2012. Your blog was the first I ever found and I knew right away just how special you are. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Marilyn in Missouri

{oc cottage} said...

Awesome & Amen!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

m

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post Elizabeth! Merry Christmas to you and your barber!

Hugs,
Judy

Burlap Luxe said...

Merry Christmas Elizabeth,

Beautiful (tear)... We are so blessed.

Blessings to you and yours
xoxo
Dore

Boxwood Cottage said...

It is unique, as unique as you and me and we all are!
Love your message Elizabeth!
Sending very Merry Christmas wishes to you and your barber husband!
Your German friend
Carola xoxo~

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Merry Christmas to you all! I hope it is a day to remember for you. So happy to wake up with such good friends greeting me.

On to getting Christmas dinner ready...

Big hugs to you all!

Love
Elizabeth

Carol Spinski said...

Beautiful message my Sweet E. Hope your Christmas and New Years is just as lovely as you are~

(((Hugs)))
Carol

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! Found you on Pinterest.

Merry CHRISTmas!

Diane

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I hadn't noticed but what a great treasure. I always seemed drawn to things such as this. You are so on the money with this post, thanks for the reminder. I hope you are having a great Christmas day today!

Lisa said...

So simple and so beautiful! So true! thank you for reminding us! I do take it to heart!

Lisa

KarenB said...

With all of the Christmas messages covering the blogs and Facebook, I love your simple and original delivery. Same message beautifully delivered. I didn't think your tray was missing a handle, I thought it was intentonal for an undetermined reason. I love how you made it a special Christmas message. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Tina said...

Such a beautiful post.
Merry Christmas to you - may it be filled with peace and joy

Richard Cottrell said...

Merry Christmas you two. see and read from you soon. Your friend, Richard and his little dog, Sissy, Too!
Richard from My Old Historic House.

Ruby Begonia'S said...

Elizabeth, Merry Christmas! What a beautiful post! Wanted to Thank You for coming out to the 3 French Hens Market....a lil chaotic as it was the first time for us at the fairgrounds, glad you enjoyed yourself! Have a wonderful New Year! Monica, 3 French Hens, Morris

LizlovesVintage said...

I've been trying to believe in that same msg. for some time now. It's not the gifts we receive during the Holiday's. It's being together that means so much to me and my Family.
I hope you had a glorious Christmas. I would have never known it was broken ;) I love it for it's beauty as it is!!
Perfection..
xxx Liz

sweetpea said...

beautiful post, elizabeth. the silver tray is as unique as you. all the best to you today and always.

hugs,

shelley

Burlap Luxe said...

Elizabeth you are my kindred spirit sister, more then that a sister through him.
Thank you so much for a year of your beauty and all that you inspire.

I wish I were there bringing in the new year with a brush in one hand and a bucket of paint in the other...Does that not sound like a great New Years Eve party ??

See you soon my inspirational friend.
xoxo
Dore

Mercedes Hamlin said...

what a beautiful lesson through your words and pictures. When I scrolled through the pictures the first time I thought it was a one of a kind tray with a simple but elegantly wrapped gift and you know, it was and is! I love seeing creative things to make me thing and be inspired but I love even more knowing the beauty of a Christian heart behind them. Thanks.

Cindy said...

Beautiful post! It is just what I needed today!

rusty hinge said...

Elizabeth, I just found your blog from Carola of Boxwood Cottage! I am so glad she did, cuz I LOVE it! You are so talented and your photos are amazing. I am your newest follower!
Maria
www.rustyhinge.blogspot.com
PS. And we are sisters in Christ and that is awesome!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Hi there! I found your blog through HGTV and was trying to find your tutorial on the painted floors in your kitchen. Can't seem to find them. Can you please send me a link?
Thanks, Happy New Year!

the old white house said...

I loved this post. Thank you for the reminder, He sees us as more than we ever see in ourselves and yet there is hope for us to recognize our own beauty. I started with todays post and am playing a little catch up on all of your beautiful posts that i have missed. Your perspective is just lovely. t.xooxxoo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...