Dec 31, 2011

Seeing the New Year Differently

Happy New Year!

It seems that every year gets shorter and shorter as I get older and older.

As one year ends and another begins, most of you know that I don't make any new year's resolutions. I do however, usually select a word for the new year that I will observe throughout the year in hopes that I will be better for it.

I had been thinking of this new word for about a week or so, and decided that my word for the new year would be:

Vision.

As most of you know, my vision has been a great source of contention for several years now due to my car accident.




These past several years have been a struggle as my once 20/20 vision was "totaled" along with my little car on that night of the  accident and has fluctuated ever since. Five of the glasses you see below are different prescriptions and the rest are just readers.





While gathering items around the house for my little posting on my 2012 word "vision," I played around with my props a little bit as I played around with words in my head on exactly what it is about the word, vision, that I want to write about....





And as I fuss about the books and glasses, trying to figure out exactly which shot I want, I continue to think about how my vision of this shot isn't really coming to fruition and how ironic that is....


After some moving here, and fussing there, I finally get the vision I was after and I am satisfied. Now, it is only a matter of getting the right angle...or rather, perspective. I continue to ponder in my head about how 2012 is going to be different for me...how I am determined to see things differently.


How I will have a different perspective on life....




But it wasn't until I bent down and got a completely different perspective and shot the photo below did it finally occur to me: my word for 2012 was not the right word. It wasn't vision that I was after...no, not vision.





But rather, I was wanting insight


Yes! Insight is something I desire. A deeper understanding of the world, those around me, as well as myself. All the spectacles in the world won't give me this.


Insight is a level of wisdom that comes from experience. 


Not from books. 










Only from living.








It is interesting how "insight," my new word for 2012, came about. While at first, I was sure my word was "vision" and I had set out to create this little vignette to shoot, I went and got this huge 1800's bible as the base of the setup.







As I set it on the table I just flipped it open and on the very first time I opened it, this little four-leaf clover was pressed right in the center of it. I took it out and then began to stack my other antique books on top of it and went and gathered all my glasses around the house.


But it wasn't until I finished my little photo shoot, having mostly "written" my post in my head, and began to put my items away did I discover something even more extraordinary. As I carefully replaced the little clover leaf in the pages, it was the first time I had noticed that I opened the bible to this verse:


Proverbs 21:30 There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.






I think no matter how well I thought out this little vignette, or my idea of what I thought I was going to say, and how I was going to say it...


Someone much smarter, wiser, and more in control had something else in mind all along. And I think I would be so much better off in 2012 if I will just let my insight be guided by Him.


May your 2012 be filled with peace, joy, and be lovingly guided by Christ who loves us like we couldn't never understand.


from my house to your house,








Signature

31 comments:

Sue said...

A truly beautiful and thought provoking post. Thank you. I sat down at my computer a few minutes agp to begin to think as well, what will my brand new year be about, where or what will be my focus. I enjoyed reading yours. I wish you the best!

Sue

KarenB said...

Don't you love it when He talks to us like that? I really love this post and am going to pass it on.

Burlap Luxe said...

Elizabeth you have 20/20 vision in the Lord and that is all you need for him.

I am adopting your word for the year as well (Vision) Its a beautiful word and it is right with him.

Elizabeth you give account for yourself, the wisdom you hold while creating with insight to the outcome making you a women of great vision.

2012 I will be following your vision.

Blessings to you my dear sweet friend and praying for your vision.

xoxo
Dore

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful post...and so true..Have a wonderful New Year!

rusty hinge said...

Elizabeth, I am going to truely take that to heart and let Him guide me this year...thank-you for your post.
Happy New Year to you,
In Christ,
Maria

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Wow E, this post is just full of wisdom and insight from God. Happy New Year my friend!

Debra@CommonGround said...

God is so cool. I love how He shows us things and makes Himself "known" to us. Hearing and knowing God is determined by our ability to "listen", as He speaks, sometimes not in words but in sweet serendipitous moments. much love for the new year. Debra

trash talk said...

Is there anything on earth that can compare to God's whispers? How wise you are to always be listening.
Happy New Year and here's to always seeing with your heart.
Deb

Tina said...

Love your post.
Wishing you a wonderful New Year and are looking forward to follow along in this new one.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

I will be linking this reflective post. Beautiful images. Powerful event. Love it when that happens!

Claudia said...

Beautifully written, Elizabeth. Happy New Year to you and yours!

xo
Claudia

blessings said...

It's a very timely post, Elizabeth. So many of us are thinking about what will inspire us in 2012. And how we can inspire others. I always feel so scattered and uninspiring. I'm learning more and more that when my mind is "stayed on Him", He puts all the other pieces into place. Thank you for your humble reminder to focus on Him and let Him lead.

Blessings to you this New Year... Polly

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

I had goosebumps reading your post, Elizabeth. You may not have 20/20 vision with your eyesight but you do have 20/20 vision with your beautiful words. God has truly blessed you with that. Thank you for always being so inspiring. Happy New year to you and great success with your word of the year:)
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

Anne Lorys said...

So well said, my friend.
I too seek better insight and understanding into those things, those signs, which are all around me.

I tend to process things through the eyes of fear and impatience, so, like you, I too look to our Father to clear the fog before my eyes.

One wish I have for the year 2012 is to finally meet you in person, my sweetest of friends!

Love you to pieces!
Anne

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

This post is just what I needed...thank you!

erin's art and gardens said...

this is such a beautiful post...just when we need HIM there HE is...
erin
xxoo

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Wow...I'm new here but I don't think finding this post was an accident. That verse is exactly what I need at exactly this moment. Thank you.
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

CarterandRose said...

This is a lovely post, lovely idea to have a word for the New Year. Insight is a really good word, can i share it?
Happy New Year

Rene Foust said...

It really is pretty amazing how He speaks to us all the time if we will just listen! I love your story. Happy New Year!

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Happy New Year Everyone!

I just stopped by everyone's blog personally to visit with you. Your blogs all looked great and I enjoyed visiting with them.

What a treat to close out my night.

Thank you so much for sticking by me all these years and may 2012 bring all of us great joy, peace and many more blogging back and forth as we all get to know each other even more.

Big hugs to you all,
Elizabeth :-)

Burlap Luxe said...

Elizabeth thank you for sharing your time and visits with me! It is I who should be thanking you for the beautiful insight you pass on and your vision you show us in all you create and inspire.

Thank you Elizabeth for being an inspiring friend.
xoxo
Dore a

Tina said...

Hugs and Happy New Year dear Elizabeth! I think your quest for "insight" is powerful and surely you will see great things and pass them along! Hope to hug your neck soon!

Legacy of a Single Girl said...

Dear Elizabeth,

Don't you just adore how the Lord works our thoughts around to blend with His? Subtle, but you know it's Him! Never pushy, but always right on and right when we need it. This is going to be a great year for you and for me! And your word, insight, is perfect!!

And, I ADORE your vignette!!!! How clever!

Hugs,
Margo

Izzy Herriette & Co/Ginger Renken said...

Elizabeth, I have viewed your blog several times and have it posted on my blog list. It's been one of my favorites but today, even more so, after taking time to actually read your profile and your writing. He certainly has blessed you and it's wonderful to see creative people, such as yourself, give credit where credit is due. Love your work! Blessings.

Elizabeth Maxson said...

What lovely comments from such lovely people. So nice to start the year out with comments with such encouragement.

I thank you all for taking time out of your very busy lives to stop by and wishing me well.

Means very much to me.

Big hugs to you all,
Elizabeth

hopeinGod5.typepad.com/blog said...

So beautifully written Elizabeth.
I was awestruck by your words.
The book of Proverbs is the KEY to understanding LIFE. Good Bless.
Joie De Vivre

sandy said...

I agree with Sue, beautiful post.. very "insightful".... thanks for sharing...btw..i saved this to my favorites. very well expressed. Best Wishes,
Sandy

trash talk said...

Just dropping back by to let you know I had to "pin" one of your photos. You are the very best I know who can take an idea from 0 to 60 with class and style!
D

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Very neat of you to stop by and tell me Deb...and very sweet of you to say that. Made my day. :-)

Very big hug,
Elizabeth

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I loved reading your post. Your photos truly tell the story. I like your final choice of insight. Very ordinary objects can open our eyes to seeing things in a new way. Thanks for sharing!

Pam Martin said...

I am sooooo glad I stumbled across your blog!! I loved your writings and your photography!! Your thoughts and how you let the Lord give you a different perspective on your thoughts...a perspective that is His!! Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...